Table of Contents
Etihad Rail is one of the most important projects in Dubai, it has two stages, stage one is 264 km long and stage two is 605. This rail will positively impact the environmental, geopolitical, social, and economic situation in Dubai. Environmentally, shifting to rail instead of cars and trucks will minimize greenhouse gases by more than 2.2 million tonnes. Socially, it will make it easier for Dubai’s residents to travel to Dubai’s neighboring countries. Economically, Etihad Rail's website estimates that its railway will provide 186 billion Dirham in economic benefits over 40 years. Dubai Luxury Tours will provide you with all information you might need to know about Etihad Rail.
Etihad Rail - Stage One
Stage one was launched in January 2016. Stage One of Etihad Rail connects the inland gas areas, Shah and Liwa to the port town of Ruwais.
- It is 264 km long.
- It can transport 22,000 tonnes of granulated sulfur daily.
Etihad rail partnered with Deutsche Bahn, the largest railway operator in Europe to operate stage one.
Stage Two: Ghuweifat – Fujairah (Under construction)
Stage Two will be 605 kilometers long from Ghuwaifat on Saudi Arabia’s borders to Fujairah on the east coast. Egis Group and Jacobs Engineering Group are responsible for developing the next phase from Ghuwaifat to Fujairah.
- It is 139 kilometers long from Ghuwaifat to Ruwais.
- Package A will become the first rail connection between the UAE and KSA.
- China State Construction Engineering Corporation and South Korea's SK Engineering and Construction are dedicated to developing this package.
Package B, and C
- Connect Stage One to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- China Railway Construction Corporation and the Ghantoot Transport & General Contracting Company are dedicated to developing Packages B and C.
- Tarif will connect Package B with Stage One at Tarif, 216 kilometers long and ends at Saih Shuaib.
- Package C from Saih Shuaib to Sharjah runs for 94 kilometers (58 mi) with a spur connection to Jebel Ali.
- It is 145 kilometers long.
- It will connect the borders of Sharjah with Dubai to the port of Fujairah, it passing through Fujairah, Ras Al-Khaimah.
- China Railway Construction Corporation and National Projects and Construction are responsible for Constructing and developing this package.
Package D includes:
- Construction of 35 bridges.
- 32 underpasses.
- 15 tunnels.
The positive effect of Etihad Rail on Dubai
One of the main objectives of Etihad Rail is to provide transportation links between the UAE and its Gulf Cooperation Council neighbors. Stage Two of the railway is supposed to be connected to the border of Saudi Arabia.
- One train trip on Stage One can replace about 300 trucks on the road.
- This would result in about 70-80% less CO2 emissions than trucks moving the same quantity.
- Rail transportation will minimize the cost of trade in the UAE.
- Rail transportation would enhance the market position of existing industries.
- The Etihad Rail network will minimize greenhouse gases by more than 2.2 million tonnes each year.
- The cost savings made by businesses using rail for freight will make them able to contribute to economic growth.
The railway will connect rural areas to cities, enhancing connectivity and generating more economic benefits for these areas.
Etihad Rail also will result in a reduction in rates of cars accidents on the country's roads due to this change to rail, predicting that rail will result in 670 fewer crashes and 52 fewer deaths each year
Etihad Rail's website estimates that its railway will provide 186 billion Dirham in economic benefits over 40 years, impacting elements such as reduced transportation costs, in addition to, faster transportation times, increased tourism generation, and lower emission impacts.